Let’s Encrypt & iTunes podcasts

Two podcasts I run have disappeared from the iTunes podcast store. After a few baffling evenings spent debugging a rather frustrating "Can't read feed" error, it turns out the problem is fairly simple.

Managing nginx configuration files

I run quite a few websites now, and I decided it was probably time I stopped editing nginx configuration files on the server, reloading nginx, and seeing what happened. I came across a post from Tyler Gaw, which explained a setup fairly close to what I wanted. My setup's a little different, so I thought I'd write about how I got it working.

nginx & letsencrypt.sh

I've started using Let's Encrypt a lot, for all my domains in fact. Previously, I've been using letsencrypt-auto, and stopping my webserver every time I want to renew a certificate. This is probably fine (all the sites and domains I run are low traffic, and can afford to be down for 30s or so when certificates need renewing every few months), except a flaw in my process for renewing certificates meant I took my webserver down for 12 hours or so. Twice.

Moving away from Cloudflare

I was a very happy user of Cloudflare for a year or so, primarily after hearing about Universal SSL, following a failed attempt to get an SSL setup which SSL Labs approved of. I felt uneasy about it - it seemed like I was intentionally MITM'ing all my sites by passing them through Cloudflare's network.

Prototyping with staticjinja

I've started building a website for a friend of mine, who works for an organisation called Talitha. I wanted to get something up and running quickly (since I figured a website was better than no website), so I just started playing with Bootstrap. From there, I had an idea of what I wanted the site to look like, and all was well. I threw up a single page site that introduced the organisation a little bit. Problem is, then I had to make a second page.

Firefox & Bootstrap 3 Glyphicons

I'm currently working on a site which uses Bootstrap 3, and makes significant use of glyphicons. As of Bootstrap 3, glyphicons are back to being web-font based. They look fine in Chrome (which is my main desktop browser), and in Safari on iOS, but I recently noticed they didn't work on my Android phone.

Forays into Responsive Design

A good friend of mine alters cards for Magic: The Gathering for fun and profit. Previously, he posted them on his Twitter feed, along with a brief description, but that doesn't provide a great way of seeing at a glance the sort of things he does - a place to point people who ask for examples of his work.

Starting with Pelican

In about 1998, I was building a website for a friend. The site was entirely static. I'd already learned the hard way about the pain of trying to keep lots of separate static HTML files visually consistent.