Tagged "blog-rewrite"

Hugo Port

I’ve been getting tired of keeping my WordPress plugins up to date for the sake of some very old blog posts, so I figured it was time I switched back to a static site generator. Last time I did this, I used Pelican, this time around I’ve picked Hugo, mostly for the chance to play with a shiny new thing. Migration wasn’t very complicated - I got most the way there by exporting my WordPress site as an XML file, and then this repo did most the heavy lifting.

Setting up Digital Ocean to run WordPress

I’ve recently started launching WordPress sites - starting with Talitha, and now this site. In my haste to move a few sites that seemed like they’d work better as WordPress sites, I appear to have over-loaded my single Digital Ocean droplet, so it’s time to spin up a new one. As ever with Digital Ocean, they haveĀ an incredibly good tutorial on setting up WordPress on Ubuntu1, but since I like automating things, I thought it was worth recording the steps I took (partly for my reference).

Starting with Pelican

In about 1998, I was building a website for a friend. The site was entirely static. I’d already learned the hard way about the pain of trying to keep lots of separate static HTML files visually consistent. To build the site, I used a system (whose name has since faded from memory) which took as its input some template files, some files containing the content, and combined them together to build a website.